Date: July 27, 2014
***** Notes 28/5/2015 *****
You can download the Shafa.Com Appstore App on Xiaomi. By simply installing it from Shafa.Com website.
However, if you like the USB method, I do keep all my Apps as backup at this location.
Please take notes, some of these Apps are older version. Once installed, the Appstore app will prompt you to update these Apps.
That, I gave a two thumbs up for 10moons TV box.
Today, let’s stress test the Xiaomi, and see how it hold up against the the 10moons’ Linux box – YunOS (云OS).
It is going to be best of Android Vs. Linux TV box.
It is going to be Xiaomi (小米) Vs. Alibaba (阿里巴巴) or Taobao (淘宝).
It is going to be ICNTV (小米’s TV Program partner) Vs. 华数TV (YunOS’s TV Program partner).
Before we begin, let’s note the following.
1. I do not sell these TV boxes. I love to watch movies and TV, and it is my strong interest to find out which box is the best for my LG 4K TV. So, if you want to buy the box, you can either go to Taobao and get it yourself or you can ask my buying agent to buy it for you and pack for you. So, please don’t ask me where to buy or how to buy or can buy for you or not. Thanks. For Xiaomi, I ask my agent to buy the non-jailbreak one from Xiaomi website in China.
http://www.mi.com/hezis – RMB399
For jail-broken one, I ask my agent to buy from
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.51.e2N8km&id=39108817143 – RMB419
For 10moons. I ask my agent to buy from …
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220m.1000858.0.0.P4v3ov&id=22289468827&is_b=1&cat_id=50936003&areaId=&q=%B5%E7%CA%D3%BA%D0 – RMB299
2. At home, I used ViewQwest 200Mbps. But because of OpenNet terminate the fibre in kitchen area, and there is no physical fibre between my kitchen to my network cabinet. So, I have to use Homeplug (Ethernet over Power Line) technology. So, maximum, I can only get 100Mbps to my TV boxes after all the tradeoff. ViewQwest is an ISP that provides Freedom VPN which is a set of DNS redirection service that can full Netflix, Hulu and PPTV to think that you are in US or in China. And hence, no Geolock issue. PPTV is hosted in ViewQwest data centre by PPTV. So, only thru ViewQwest network, you can get 1second or lesser buffer time. So, don’t ask me if this will work on Singtel or Starhub or M1 or MyRepublic. I seriously don’t know. But I do see the performance of both Singtel and Starhub from my friend place. It is really sucks.
3. To be fair, before you complaint about SingTel or Starhub, you should also see your own home network design, weather it is optimal? Are you using the crappy router provided by the ISP? But best of all, go read www.hardwarezone.com for all the comments and comparison. Those are people who spent lost of times to fix their network and they can tell you who has the best performance.
(Sorry, I must always put this down, as too many people write to me on the above issues).
OK. Let’s go back to the main topic.
This is Xiaomi TV Box.
The 3rd generation is the latest model, that does not have network port.
Oh ya. Their power supply also different. You cannot use other 5V power plug to supply power to Xiaomi. It is different. I can use my 10moons and interchange with my other TV box such as Amazon Fire, and Minix boxes. But not this one.
I saw many different version, where they place English menu, toggle, and some just give you the normal Android desktop, etc. But the one I had, I bought the jailbroken one, has this default interface where it ask you to choose the desktop when you press the home key. You can interchange either use the Xiaomi UI or use the VST or Rabbit UI. All are usable.
Today, let’s focus on the Xiaomi UI.
This is Xiaomi UI. Which is pretty standard. You got all the TV Movies pages as well as the Application (应用) pages.
Here is the video of navigating Xiaomi UI.
Most of the China made TV box will have this feature to test your network speed. What they do is from where you run the network, your ISP, they will do a download of the movie and to tell you what your Xiaomi box can do.
OK. My Xiaomi reported that I can play Super HD (超清). This is the speed to iCNTV servers. But take a look at the average download streaming speed. It is 353KB/S.
Now, if you recalled from my previous 10moons box, I did the same network speed test.
And the speed to connect my 10moons box to 华数TV servers are 1377KB/s.
Conclusions #1: You can expect to run Xiaomi TV box on ViewQwest at the much slower speed as there are a different speed connecting to both caching servers.
Video #1. First video, once pressed (at the 10s mark). It takes about 20s to buffer from a Caching server CDN19. You can see that the speed is fluctuating too.
Video #2. Here is another video, and it goes thru CDN30. And this one takes about 10s to launch.
Now, let’s look back the test we did few days ago on the YunOS of 10moons TV box.
Conclusions: You can tell the different. When you are on ViewQwest network, and when you connect to ICNTV from Xiaomi, it is slower to get connected. The buffering time is much slower too. If you connect to 华数TV It is almost instantaneous.
This is something to do with your ISP Internet network topology. Who they buy the IP Transit from, and how they deliver these streaming TV contents to you.
So, my conclusion is, ViewQwest at the moment will not give a good streaming experience to your Xiaomi box. (May be Xiaomi running on other can get surprising results). But most show still can be played and it looks very good on your Big 4K TV screen. All the contents are Super HD.
However, if you have a jailbreak version of Xiaomi where you can install PPTV. The PPTV running on the Xiaomi TV box is fast.
1 second buffering. The movie will come out.
So, you compare to the YunOS, the performance is comparable. It was great.
And not to forget, Xiaomi comes with very nice Apple TV like remote.
I like it too.
1. Xiaomi is a great box. But the way how they implement the caching using CDN 19, CDN 26 and CDN 30 gives mix results to viewers. Sometimes fast some time slow. The fastest also takes about 8-15 seconds to launch a show. This has nothing to do with the box. The box itself is elegant. It has something to do with the network. Xiaomi says it only support China viewers. So, I am guessing the rest of the Singapore network provider will have similar performance.
2. Temasek Holding or GIC I think put a lot of investment in Xiaomi, and I hope they can tell Xiaomi to implement proper chaching to Singapore audience. But then, all these involves very dark content copy right issues, so, it is not going to be easy for them to get it done for oversea or Singapore.
3. On a ViewQwest FreedomVPN environment, running YunOS to connect to 华数TV TV content is much faster (1 second launch the show). The PPTV client running on both YunOS and Xiaomi UI are same, 1 second launch the show. So, thru the simple video you can guess, in my mind, why I still give 10moons a two thumbs up.
Until ViewQwest or Xiaomi can solve their CDN performance issue, otherwise, I am not recommending it for ViewQwest network.
Tell you a big joke.
That day, I was trying to show my friend how fast is the 10moons TV box. I brought the box to office without bringing the power adapter. So, in the office, I found a power adapter and I plug it in. Unfortunately, that power adapter is a 12V Linksys power adapter. And it burned by power socket on the 10moons box. @#!^!$#!@%!$$^!
HaHaHaHaHa… I am getting my new unit in soon. Should be in within 2 weeks time. HaHaHaHaHa
Greetings! The google drive folder seems to be empty.
All these Apps can be easily download via here http://app.shafa.com/apk/dianshibibei.html
This 电视必备 app has all the cracked version that allows you to run Tudou, Sohu, Youku and so on.
I would really love to try Xiao Mi TV box but my fibre plan is still with starhub. So can I get a foreign VPN from another supplier and will I be able to view every channel on XIAOMI????
Please help and advise as the SCV cost is killing me…….. ; (
Hi, any tutorial on how to install English menu?
N the constant popups asking to update. Do we update? Or ignore.
Hi ! Now china mi.com website selling latest xiao mi box 4k @ 299 cny . Can it be use in Singapore ? I can ask my china friend to buy from china and ask him ship to me .
Hi, My Xiaomi box 3rd gen suddenly failed to detect WIFI. Other portable devices has no issue. I have restored to factory setting but still failed. Any kind soul can help?
hi ken Liew, thanks for information sharing.
May I know 10moons able to watch football live? English premier, Spain premier and etc?
10moons is a TV media box. Other TV media box includes Amazon fireTV, Xiaomi, etc etc. So, the correct question is What is the App that allow you to watch English premier, Spain Premier. The answer is… one such app is called 光芒体育, or other Apps that support LiveTV. For example, LiveTV from Hong Kong or China will play the soccer game live … but you just need to know which one.
I don't watch soccer. So, I might not have the answers for you. You may ask around. Now, the other thing is, it is a good thing to share this sort of info, but it is bad that when it is shared widely, the server become slower, or these “illegal” channels being caught and cease to work. So, just be mindful about this.
I suspect is hardware problem. You might want to get it changed?
Xiaomi Mibox is a TV box running Android based app from Xiaomi. The stock Mi.Com app on the Xiaomi box so far can be watch under a few ISP. But the stock App carries older show. What usually people does is they will install LiveTV app or PPTV or others to watch TV and movies.
You may search on the youtube or web how to install English menu. That will involve rooting your xiaomi which I don't recommend.
App software will always get updates. So, you should update it to get advantage of its speed improvement or UI improvement.
Some times you might not want to update it. For example, CartoonHD has a big update, but it is not recommend to update it, as you might need a mouse to navigate the menu after update. Remember some of these App is designed for touch screen.
Change ISP lor.
Hi there, what is the app that can watch us TV series?
So this xiaomi box needs to be JB before you can install anything useful yah
So I xia zai and save it to a thumb and pluck into the box ?
how to change ISP
Thank you for this guide. I went to the JB MiTV link. There are a few options. Do I have to select any of those?
Not sure why the difference in prices. RMB299, RMB318, RMB328. Can advise?
Hi there, i got my viewqwest 1Gbps plan set up yesterday. But it barely hit more than 100Kbps with wifi or with ethernet cable by xiaomi tv box 网络测速. I was wondering how did yours able to hit more than 300-400Kbps ?
Cheers ~ !