Date: Sep 7, 2018
When the doctor says you should monitor your blood pressure so, what should you do?
Go and buy a BP machine from Watson or Guardian?
Or you can get Xiaomi too.
I have a Xiaomi BP machine.
It is very sleek. Cheap too.
But how accurate is Xiaomi BP machine?
Let me tell you my story.
For longest time, I never use the Xiaomi BP machine. My wife took it out and use it. So, I tag along and use it too. And I was surprise to see that the BP reported on Xiaomi is so high. Some times it can get as high as 180/130mmHg. Yeap… You heard correctly. 180.
So, of course I don’t believe it, I then measure it with my right hand. And I got normal 140/110mmHg kind of readings.
Next day, I did it again, and my left hand BP shoot up to 190/135mmHg, and my right hand BP maintain 140/105mmHg.
My wife BP appears to be correct.
I continue to monitor for a week or so, and I beh tahan, I go see my doctor and did a medical check up almost immediately. Although there is nothing wrong with me from the surface, my medical checkup returned with red flags. And I went on to take a major ops to fix it. That is another story to tell later. (be patient!).
So, I have to thank my crappy Xiaomi BP machine that gives me these “false” readings, otherwise, I won’t go and see the doctor and did an extensive medical checkup.
Now, back to our story. So, few weeks ago, I use the Xiaomi to take my BP again, 2 weeks after the operations. And this time, Xiaomi BP machine is like going hay wired…
Flashing red. Red Alert!!! What is this crap!!! 244/164mmHg????????????
But then, when my wife test it, her BP is correct!!!
Oh ya, Xiaomi branding is “iHealth”.
So, I beh tahan, go and buy another brand of BP machine.
And measure it immediately once I got it. And I got 127/73mmHg. Which is normal.
Next day, I did the measurement again.
First with Xiaomi BP machine. 155/95mmHg. It seems normal now. Still I don’t like the “155” figure.
And when I did it with OMRON. 130/84mmHg. Good readings too.
- Most of the BP machines you can buy can only give you estimate BP readings.
- There is no 100% accuracy.
- The best method is still using the conventional doctor method. Use your hearing.
- When I was in the hospital, I asked the nurse what is the best brand to buy, she said buy Philip brand, which is more accurate. Unfortunately, I can only buy Omron from Guardian or Watson.
- So, I did the comparison with Xiaomi’s iHealth vs. Omron, Omron give me better results which is consistent with most of the readings done while I was in hospital those few days.
- As a result, I dumped my Xiaomi BP machine away and use Omron from now on.
- I found that when I use Xiaomi, I kept giving doubts and that increase my blood pressure a bit some how and make me think there are something wrong with my body. When I switch to use Omron BP machine, as it gives consistent reading which matched those readings I got from hospitals (measuring every hour).
- So, I am now happy with my Omron BP machine.
- My Xiaomi’s iHealth could be faulty, but my wife’s reading seems correct, and my right hand reading seems correct too. May be Xiaomi don’t like my left hand. hahahaha